Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Community Will Prevail

Today I finally had a chance to sit back and think about the last couple of days. With the death of a mother in the community of Mbonisweni and preparing for the arrival of multiple teams over the next couple of months I haven't taken the time to step back and look at what God is doing in my life and all around me.

Looking back and seeing a mother of two, the oldest Sipo a 15yr old boy and Kathiway an 11yr old girl, pass away just a few weeks after a team from Orlando constructed them a new house was hard to understand the reasoning of God's plan. Spending time out at the build site was such a blessing in so many ways. Not only was I able to be apart of giving a family a house with a roof not made out of tarp and walls made of tin but also able to build a relationship with this family and knowing that when this house is finished I will still be around to see them enjoy it. But trying to understand God's reasoning for taking the mother of these two children soon after a "Home" was being established I soon realized was selfish. It is not my place to understand why but just to have faith and know that his plan is way bigger then I could ever imagine.

Sipo is at a time in his life where the transition of being a boy and becoming a young man is crucial. There is no time to learn how this is done now, just to do! He is now responsible for feeding the mouths and providing safety for him and his sister. But hes not alone! He has recently seen the powers of God and what he is capable of. Giving him a huge blessing with a home but meanwhile taking his mother from him. Since the house was erected he has been involved with the youth group at Pastor Stimbiso's church and has joined the choir. His little sister has also been showing up at one of the feeding programs always with a beautiful smile on her face.

Mongoliso (My South African Roommate) and I heard of the mother passing away and went that night to go stay with the kids. Since both Mongoliso and I have lost a parent as kids we where hoping to bring a little insight or just a little affection. We ended up just sitting around a fire passing around some water and Popsicles laughing at the awkward language barrier. At the end of the night we all gathered in the house and prayed. As the kids were lying down for bed we heard Sipo praying on his own in his room. It was a beautiful thing since he was so new to self prayer. The next morning they woke with smiles and ready to eat wich I had prepared them some bread and jam with hot water to wash before school. I packed them lunches and on we were to school. After about a 5K walk to school we said Saligasie (Good Buy and have a nice day) we continued back to the house hoping the kids would have a good day.

A couple days before the funeral Sipo was unable to be found. Wondering why he would leave after the community, church , friends, and family all gathered everyday to help with anything possible he just left. Pastor Stimbiso and Mongoliso held prayer meetings every night before the funeral. It was great to be apart of such a Godly Gathering. The night before the funeral Sipo showed up back at home. What a relief!

The Funeral held place at the house at 6am. Seeing everyone who had put so much time and effort into this family all coming together at once to share in the joy and sorrow of this day had more of an imact on me then I was ready for. People from another community asked to be picked up so they could also come just because they heard of how the community was coming together through this family. As the service ended with prayer and songs they loaded the body into the back a truck and started up the hill to the cemetery with all the women following singing and dancing all the way. When we arrived at the cemetery which sat at the top of a mountain side you could feel the presence of God. Yeah He was there! With a view of hazy fog trickling down two mountain sides that flowed into a river like valley of plush forest and the sun was just ascending over a mountain side far in the distance. As everybody chimed in with song and prayer my emotions started to overcome me. I saw Sipo there staring at his mothers coffin with a blank stare on his face. No emotion whats so ever. I couldn't help think of my step fathers funeral and what i could imagine being the same feeling. Helpless knowing now that you have to step up and be the man of the house. Being afraid of what to do or who to go to when things get tough.
I was truly honored to be apart of the burial. Shoveling dirt with the other men was a blessing in disquise. I thought i would be out of place. Not welcome in a way. But it was the exact opposite. As i was digging I caught the eyes of the other men and they were shocked but grateful that a white man would get dirty and be apart of this. After the cerimony was over the men came to shake my hand and thanks for the help. At that moment i realized that all race barriers and stature aside meant nothing when it comes to helping the poeple that you love. When you come together and a share love with one another it comes from God and God shows you that love through other people around you.

I'm still here a couple days later after the funeral wondering how the kids will do on there own. I keep forgeting they are not alone. God, the community, and myself are all here and not going anywhere. If they need anything God will provide. I'm hoping to do another overnight with the kids soon so please keep them in your prayers and remember that God has ways of showing his plans to you, just throw away all your preconceived ideas and he will show up.



-Ryan

3 comments: