Thursday, August 13, 2009

Baking Love

For the last week or so I've suddenly found an interest in baking. Aside from buying a box of cake mix or a tube of cookie dough, I've never really made anything before and never had an interest to try. There's something about Africa that has inspired me to try new things and find interest in things I've never before considered, like baking and knitting. I've made two batches of muffins, a banana Cinnamon oatmeal batch and an apple raisin batch, neither of which was too bad for my first few attempts if I do say so myself. Also, I've been trying my hand at baking fresh bread, the hard way without a bread maker. My first two tries weren't so great, I just couldn't get the technique down and my bread was not rising in the sun, but today I made some with sweet basil and I got it to work. I felt so accomplished when it came out of the oven looking (and tasting) exactly the way it was supposed to. I want to try new things, so as soon as we get some money for ingredients I'll keep experimenting with new recipes. I really love the way Africa has brought out this new side of me. I came here hoping this the trip would make me more adventurous, and it surprised me at the ways it has done just that. When I think "adventurous" I certainly don't think of baking muffins and knitting squares, but it's given me the inspiration to try my hand at something new and see it through. It's teaching me what the word process is all about, and I'm really enjoying the time with God and the way He speaks to me when I try something new. Plus there's no better way to make someone feel welcome than to make them something good to eat :)

1 comment:

  1. Ga Ga said we need to Skype this week end if we can , Love you , Pop Pop & Ga Ga . Keep Baking , i'm getting hungry for your sweets!!!!!

    ReplyDelete